What is Spondylitis?
Spondylitis affects the spine and large joints. It is a common disease with over 1 million reported cases every year in India. Spondylitis is more common amongst men and occurs during early adulthood.
Common causes of Spondylitis
Spondylitis has no known certain cause, however, genetic factors do play a role. People carrying a gene called HLA-B27 are at great risk of developing spondylitis, although not all with the gene develop this.
Common symptoms of Spondylitis
- Pain and stiffness in your lower back and hips
- Neck pain and fatigue
- Tingling, numbness, or weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
- Lack of coordination
- Abnormal reflexes
- Muscle spasms
When to seek treatment for Spondylitis?
- Low back or buttock pain that came on slowly
- Pain in the morning or awakens you from sleep
- If pain improves with exercise
- Painful red eye, severe light sensitivity or blurred vision